After President Donald Trump ordered the use of tear gas and flash grenades against a Black Lives Matter movement who were peacefully protesting outside the White House, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez posted a guide for protestors.
Protesting can always lead to an arrest, no matter how peaceful the protest. So it's always convenient to have your ID and medication for at least 2 or 3 days if needed. Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez has also posted a specific dress code guideline for protestors.
Congresswoman's suggestions are:
- Wear many layers in case you get sprayed with tear gas. A second set of clothes is a good idea as well for the same purposes. Cover up as much of your body as possible and opt for thick fabric. Tear gas tends to stick on humid surfaces.
- Comfortable shoes that protect you from the chemicals and in case running is needed.
- Shatter-proof sunglasses like goggles for instance and a hat.
- A transparent bag for your belongings that is comfortable to carry.
- Due to COVID-19, face mask and gloves should also be worn. Preferably a damp bandana to cover your nose and mouth.