The singer and songwriter was born in Saint Michael and raised in Bridgetown, Barbados. She moved to the US in 2005 when she signed with American label Def Jam, which focuses on hip hop and urban music. At the time rapper Jay-Z was president of the company. More on one of the world's best-selling music artists below.
The Caribbean-influenced singer became a nine time Grammy-winning rhythm and blues, pop, and hip-hop artist, here are some cool facts about Rihanna you might not know!
1. Her birth name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty. In 2014 she trademarked her surname for possible future endeavors such as her Fenty Beauty makeup line launched in 2017.
2. Believe it or not, you're probably mispronouncing her name. It's actually pronounced "ree-ANN-uh" not "ree-AH-nuh."
3. She received military training. The singer was an army cadet in a sub-military program in Barbados. Rihanna revealed that this training helped in when she submitted for a beauty pageant on a dare, which by the way she one! In part, thanks to the talent evaluation where she performed Mariah Carey's "Hero."
4. Her 2008 hit song "Umbrella" was originally written for Britney Spears who turned it down. Good thing for Rihanna that ended up rocking the song!
5. She has several Guinness World Records, including "most consecutive years of UK no. 1 singles," "female artist with most US no. 1 singles in a year," and "most digital no. 1 singles in the US."
Check out more interesting facts about the Award-winning singer!